Today is the 1st of October, the start of a new month. And for those of you that work in the corporate environment, it is the start of a new quarter (and possibly the last depending on your financial year). It is also for many the time when we begin thinking about the countdown to Christmas (even though it’s not yet Halloween!) and ponder what we have achieved in the first nine months of the year and what we can do before the year is out.
I personally LOVE the start of a week, month, quarter or year. It is just the way my brain works. So the start of October for me means time to look at what I want to achieve in the next three months before the end of the year and then I will start afresh in January. Breaking down goals by weeks, months and target dates helps me to keep motivated.
I particularly like this time of year filled with leaves and conkers just before the evenings get really dark and the weather turns frosty. So while you snuggle up on the coach some evening ponder the following for the coming months:
- 2017 Goals: Did you set any goals or New Year’s Resolutions this year? If yes, how are you doing with them? Is it possible to reach them in the last 3 months or if you haven’t yet started, can you start now? If you have forgotten all about them is the lesson to set less for 2018 and just focus on one thing or to set a smaller more realistic goal for next year?
- Gratitude: Putting goals aside for a moment, reflect on what you have done in the last nine months. What are the highlights? Want makes you smile and laugh when you think about it? What and who are you grateful for? Going into this final quarter bank all these positives (write a list of successes/ best moments) and decide what other great experiences you want to have in the next few months.
- Change: Is there anything very different now versus this time last year? If you have had to navigate through some change in work, home or personal life how did you handle it? Be proud of yourself for getting through whatever it was as any sort of adversity makes you stronger. What tactics did you have to use? What did you learn? What will you do the next time you are in a similar situation?
- Declutter: It is time to do an autumn clean and get rid of anything that isn’t serving you both literally and figuratively. I am planning to do a massive clear-out next week and packing away the summer clothes albeit with a little tear. However, I am looking forward to it as it leaves more space in my wardrobe for new autumn/winter clothes. I’m also reflecting on situations that simply are not helping me and how I can change.
- Step into it! January to September are done now so time to park them and really jump into the last few months with gusto! Three months is still loads of time to achieve goals, make change and enjoy yourself so go out there and get started!
If you would like someone to help you reflect on what you’ve done so far in 2017 and how you can make the most of the remaining few months, please give me a shout.